Thursday, May 03, 2007

Chapter IV - Our First Year


My father was born in 1918, my mother in 1921. They married during World War II before my father went off for training. They had my three oldest siblings between 1943 and 1948, then my brother and me in 1962 and '63, when both my parents were in their 40s.

I spent most of my 20s trying to figure out a career and most of my 30s trying to establish myself in one. I didn't marry until I was 34, and had my first child three years later. By that time, my father had died (in 1972) and my mother was almost 80.

I introduced my mother to her granddaughter, Delaney Sage, through the protective glass door of the NICU. By this time, my mother had been a great-grandmother for more than 10 years. But here she was, looking down into the eyes of what had become a legacy of late-life births. Young and old, separated by a span of 85 years.

Our first year with our daughter has been a blessing. She's grown into a sweet, curious giggly little girl who is a joy to be with. Because she was a premie, and because we're older, and because we're just naturally a little paranoid, we've been watching her development very closely, and she's hitting all her milestones about as we expected her to. My mother says that having grandchildren around has given a spark to these last few years. I wish my father could have seen them, but that's one of the downsides of having kids late.

That's the story of how I became an older dad. Feel free to share your story.
Photo: MommyG gives Delaney Sage a kiss at her 1-year birthday party.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I don't think just b/c you have kids late means that your own parents will never see your children. I don't see it as a disadvantage. Death hits the young and old at any time. Plenty of people have lost parents at young ages due to accident, certain illnesses etc..and yes, those people's parents never got see their children either. I hope you consider that