Monday, January 22, 2007

Can you be a hip dad over 40?

It has almost no relevance to my life, but I enjoy reading the insights by Washington Post blogger Jill Hudson Neal - "Still Me - The Cool Mom's Guide to Staying Hip."

And yet, she thinks she has problems? Try being a 43-year-old guy with two young kids. In my 20s I danced in Georgetown nightclubs and drank beer in fashionable Baltimore pubs. In college, I even had a new-music radio show. But as the years went on it became harder to be hip, and having kids, while a total blessing, didn't make it any easier. I knew I had crossed a signifianct hipness plateau when I relaized I couldn't name any members of Coldplay* but knew all the first names of The Wiggles. I don't think there's any going back at this point. I find some comfort in lyrics from Tower of Power (and if you're old enough to read this blog you're old enough to remember the band):

As you're striving to find the right road
There's one thing you should know
What's hip today might become passe'

Can I ever relate!

* For the record, the members of Coldplay are: Chris Martin, guitars, piano, voice; Guy Berryman, bass; Jonny Buckland, lead guitar; Will Champion, drums.

1 comment:

TVisconti said...

I'm 44, very happily married and have a 4yo and a 5yo. What's hip? I'm really not sure. I just do what makes me happy as long as it's not illegal and won't infringe on my family what's the harm.

Fortunately, my wife is 10 years younger and stays current on the music scene. As for me listening to it as I cruise in my Jeep with my top down I don't think it looks all that odd here in L.A. Then again it's not Rap or something that'll make me appear to be a complete duffus.

Do what make you feel good about yourself, the free feeling and not feeling so old will come with it.

Enjoy