Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Back on topic

I had a wonderful experience at the Orange Bowl, and rested if not quite tanned I'm ready to get back to the usual topic of conversation. I thought I would lay out a few ideas for what I'd like to do this year. Here are some of my thoughts, and if there's anything you would like to see not mentioned here, let me know.
In no particular order:

* Some financial issues came up last year about college expenses and how people often underestimate the costs. Those reports didn't take into account that many of us will be facing college at the same time retirement is upon us, so I'm hoping to get some ideas on how to balance that issue.

* We'll probably talk a lot about the emerging concept of a male biological clock, an idea that got a lot of attention last year as the genetic risks of advanced paternal age came to the fore. It's probably worthwhile to have a discussion on the folowing topic: " Is there such a point when old becomes too old?"

* I have only had one generation of kids, but I know a lot of older dads have done what's been called "re-fathering," having a second round of children as their first set gets older. We will bring some of those fathers into the conversation to see how it's different.

* I'm also this year going to be on the lookout for health news for older men. My goal is to lose some weight this year, and as someone who lost a parent young, I know we all want to be there for our children and be healthy enough to get the most out of being parents. (You'd think that's be execise enough!)

* I also plan to continue posting some of my own experiences with my two kids, Sean and Delaney, just as a way of keeping things kind of personal here.

No comments: