Thursday, August 16, 2007

Inventive dads

My friend Jim Toole sent me this link to a great NY Times story today. It's about how the trend of dads taking a more active role in their children's lives have led to new inventions and entrepreneurial opportunities for men, ideas nurtured by their child-raising experiences. As a guy who is still carrying around the wife's pink quilted Vera Bradley diaper bag, I say "Hallelujah."

The lede of the story is about Tommy Habeeb, a well-know actor, producer and a host of - how should we say - low-brow reality shows, as well as the inventor of the Water Bottle Nipple Adaptor. Habeeb, who has three kids including a 3-year-old son, is 49, according to Wikipedia. (That's my best bet, neither the story nor the biography on his web site list an age.)

Looking for manly dad stuff? The story lists a site called DadGear.com, with an eye toward the more rugged, masculine products aimed at dads. Good-bye, Vera Bradley.


On a way unrelated note, People Magazine reports that former Olympic figure skater Scott Hamilton, 48, and wife Tracie, 37, are expecting their second child in October.

2 comments:

abangxxx said...

It struck a chord within me. My wife gave birth to our fourth child, a girl, back in march 2007. Our eldest, a boy, is now in a university, aged eighteen,the second is still in elementary class, he's also a boy. Our third child is a girl now in year four, elementary school. I am now fifty.Imagine that. There are disturbing questions such as; will I be able to watch this baby grow and get married? However, after sometimes, such nagging questions began to lose their meaning as i watched ,my little princess grow [mind you, she's very cute]. My advice to fellow fathers who are in the same situation is, love the family and enjoy this life.

Daddy G. said...

"My advice to fellow fathers who are in the same situation is, love the family and enjoy this life."

That's some of the best advice you'll ever get, from this site or anywhere else. Thanks for sharing your story, abangxxx.