Monday, June 04, 2007

Would you take a fertility test if you could do it at home?

In news that may affect many older couples, the British company Fertell has announced a his-and-hers fertility test that lets users check for problems without having to go to a doctor's office. Much of Fertell's marketing is directed toward older couples - it's no accident that the testimonial on the front page of their Web site is from a couple, Emily and Nick, have the respective ages of 36 and 40. References to advancing parental age can be found through much of the product's site, understandable, I suppose, given that fertility declines with age.

To take the test, men have to produce a semen sample. Here's an explanation about how the test works from a press release from the company's site: "All the man has to do is produce a sample, push a button and twist a switch and he will be able to assess that he has enough sperm that can swim to fertilise an egg. He will get the results in about one hour. Fifty per cent of all cases of infertility are due to male factors and this test can indicate early on if there is potentially a problem with the man that indicates the couple should seek advice. This is particularly important given that many couples are choosing to defer childbearing until later in life.”

The female tests for Follicle Stimulating Hormone, better known as FSH. The male part tests sperm motility. Fertell has been approved by the Food and Drug Administration for purchase without a prescription. Fertell's US web site lists a price of $99.99 for the couples test.

The company explains how the male test works here.

For me, I don't think taking the test at home would have much of an advantage over going to a doctor's office. I think I would just want answers, and wherever I thought I could get them, that's where I'd go.

2 comments:

Daddy G. said...

This was posted on DIGG in response to my post:

"I work in two labs with tons of microscopes... I'm ashamed to admit that I've never examined my own swimmers...

Obviously I have a new goal this coming weekend."

Daddy G. said...

NRP did a piece about Fertell on Monday on "All Things Considered." Here's a link:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=10712488