Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Not exactly a role model for older fatherhood

How can I get Zsa Zsa Gabor and Anna Nicole Smith into a blog about older dads? Easy, thanks to Gabor's husband, Prince Frederic Von Anhalt, 59, who has thrown his hat into the ring surrounding the paternity of Smith's infant daughter. According to published reports, the prince said: "My wife says, 'If you bring a baby home then it's over.' If my wife wants to divorce me then it's up to her." Von Anhalt and Gabor, who is 90, have been married for more than 20 years. The prince claims the baby is the result of a long-running affair with Smith.

I think what has drawn people into the paternity case here, aside form the sheer celebrity factor, is that we all know there's an unknowable number of children out there who would love to have dads fighting to embrace them instead of ditch them, but they don't stand to inherit millions as Smith's daughter does. Is that what's motivating people to come forward in this case? I don't know, only the three men involved do. Hopefully they're motivated by the fatherly love they all claim is driving them. I wish the best for young Dannielyn - here's hoping this spectacle ends quickly and she ends up with a loving dad who will do his best to provide a secure and stable home for her. I'm also glad she's too young to see what's going on around her.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think it's sad all these men are behaving this way, because it seems certain they aren't interested in the welfare of the child.